Modern Slavery Statement 2021-22
Incorporated by Royal Charter in 1905, the University of 新葡萄官网 is a public research University 和 is an exempt charity under the terms of the Charities Act 2006. With a turnover in excess of £744m for the financial year ending July 2021, the University is defined by The Modern Slavery Act 2015 (Transparency in Supply Chains) as a commercial organisation.
Modern slavery is a crime 和 a violation of fundamental human rights. It takes various forms, 比如奴隶制, 奴役强迫, 义务劳动, 和 人口贩卖, all of which have in common the deprivation of a person’s liberty by another in order to exploit them for personal or commercial gain.
As part of the Higher Education sector, we recognise that we have a duty to take a robust approach in eradicating slavery 和 人口贩卖 throughout our supply chains. This annual statement sets out the steps the University of 新葡萄官网 has taken in the last financial year 和 those we intend to take to address the issues of modern slavery, 人口贩卖, forced 和 bonded labour 和 labour rights violations in our supply chains.
2. The University’s structure, business 和 supply chains
The University is one of the 24 universities that make up the 罗素联盟. Members of this group are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outst和ing teaching 和 learning experience, 和 unrivalled links with business 和 the public sector.
Welcoming students 和 staff from over 140 countries, we are a multi-campus University 和 are organised into six academic faculties composed of multiple departments.
We are dedicated to sector leading academic achievement across a broad range of disciplines. Our academic departments are grouped into the following five faculties:
- 艺术学院 & 人文学科
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry 和 Health
- Faculty of Sciences
- Faculty of Social Sciences
In addition to the 能力 above, we have The University of 新葡萄官网 Advanced Manufacturing 和 研究 Centre (AMRC), which is a network of world-leading research 和 innovation centres working with manufacturing companies of any size around the globe.
Both the faculties 和 the AMRC are supported by Professional Services, which is divided into the following structure:
- Finance 和 Commercial Services
We also have Overseas Representative 从ices
- 新葡萄官网 Advisory Services, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
We are a member of the North Eastern Universities Purchasing Consortium (NEUPC) 和 The University Caterers Organisation (TUCO) both of which are members of UK Universities Purchasing Consortia (UKUPC). UKUPC is a partnership between eight UK purchasing consortia who created a formal entity to support collaborative procurement within Higher 和 Further Education. All eight consortia work together to share knowledge 和 best practice, to support each other 和 the wider procurement community.
Spending money with a social 和 ethical conscience, 支持中小企业, focussing on renewable energy, 和 ensuring the goods 和 services we are procuring are free from modern slavery 和 人口贩卖 are just some of the aspects the university’s procurement team focus on.
We engage on modern slavery 和 sustainability issues with the wider university sector through our membership of the Higher Education 采购 Association (HEPA) 和 the NEUPC Responsible 采购 Group, which feeds into the National Responsible 采购 Group. 另外, we are part of a HE Sector focus group with the Social Value Task Force on ethical procurement practices.
3. 新葡萄官网的政策, 尽职调查, 和 procurement practices in relation to Modern Slavery 和 Human Trafficking
In addition to the Whistleblowing Policy 和 the Agency Workers Policy highlighted in our previous Modern Slavery Statement, we operate the following practices 和 尽职调查 in relation to Modern Slavery:
- Suppliers who bid for tendering opportunities are assessed against their compliance with the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
- Staff whose primary job function is 采购 have received training from the Higher Education 采购 Association on Modern Slavery 和 Protecting Human Rights in the Supply Chain.
- Staff whose primary job function is 采购 are either qualified Members of the Chartered Institute of 采购 和 Supply (MCIPS) or are actively working towards the qualification. A code of ethics is in place, which requires all MCIPs professionals to foster awareness of human rights, fraud 和 corruption issues in the supply chain.
- We engage with NetPositive Futures to address the requirements of the Modern Slavery Act in order to meet our disclosure responsibilities.
- We work closely with our purchasing consortia the NEUPC 和 other HE procurement consortia on responsible procurement issues including Modern Slavery 和 Human Trafficking.
- Using the HE Master Commodity Code Risk analysis tool we follow the National 采购 Policy Statement requirement to take measures in identifying 和 mitigating modern slavery risks in during all stages of the procurement cycle.
- When risks are identified we utilise the UKUPC sustainable development goals question bank to assess how suppliers mitigate 和 manage those risks.
- We have developed a process for vetting all new suppliers, regardless of contract value, on the compliance with the Modern Slavery Act.
In addition to the actions we have already taken to adhere to the Act, we will:
- Continue to improve our training 和 awareness of the Act within procurement 和 the wider organisation.
- Continue to discuss the Act with our suppliers, 和 ensure they take proportionate 和 appropriate action to eradicate Modern Slavery 和 Human Trafficking within their supply chains.
- To work with our supply base to commit to the APUC sustain supplier code of conduct.
- Work with our consortia on auditing 和 monitoring of compliance with our supply base.
5. Training 和 measurement
新葡萄官网将 continue to improve our training 和 awareness of the Act within procurement 和 the wider organisation. Staff whose primary job function is 采购 will undertake continual professional development 和 undertake training from the Higher Education 采购 Association on Modern Slavery 和 Protecting Human Rights in the Supply Chain. 新葡萄官网将 measure the number of people trained in both advanced 和 basic knowledge of the Act.
This statement is made pursuant to section 54(1) of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 和 is reviewed annually. It was approved by the University Executive Board 和 signed by the President 和 Vice Chancellor.
Professor Koen Lamberts
President 和 Vice-Chancellor
For 和 on behalf of the University of 新葡萄官网
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact 和 distinctiveness of our research-led learning 和 teaching.